Can Dogs Eat Nutmeg?

 

Nutmeg is a spice that we often use to make seasonal cakes and cookies. It has that nutty and rich fragrance that will attract everyone in the kitchen, including your dogs. However, before you give your doggos freshly-baked cookies with nutmeg, you need to determine if this is safe for your pet. With many foods that are considered toxic to our dogs, such as chocolates, onion powder, and table salt, it is essential to find out if the compounds of the nutmeg are safe for ourdogs.

 

Nutmeg is Not Safe for Our Dogs

 

Can Dogs Eat Nutmeg?

Nutmeg contains a compound known as Myristicin which can be toxic to our dogs. If your dog accidentally stumbled upon your nutmeg shaker and ingested the substance, you may encounter some problems. At a significant dosage of nutmeg, our dogs can experience seizures, abdominal pain, dry mouth, rapid heart rate, hallucinations, increased blood pressure, and disorientation. Although it may be highly unlikely that your dog will ingest a sufficient amount to experience these symptoms, the reaction can last up to 48 hours if your furry friend does.  

 

You should also pay attention to the size of your pet when considering the amount of nutmeg that your dog unintentionally ingested. If they belong to the larger breed, it would be unlikely to experience a reaction from the slice of the cake. However, smaller breeds like Chihuahua may experience a negative response from this same amount.

 

When Should You Not Worry?

 Can Dogs Eat Nutmeg?

It is highly improbable to cause any side effects when ingested in lower doses. You may not even see any mild negative reactions such as diarrhea and vomiting. So in case they accidentally swallowed a cookie that contains nutmeg, they should be perfectly fine. Just to ensure that they are fine, check for any symptoms within two days after ingesting the nutmeg.

 

Things to Do if They Ate Nutmeg

 Can Dogs Eat Nutmeg?

You should keep your shaker away from the reach of your dog since the smell of the nutmeg can attract them. Make sure that your cabinets are secured to prevent them from raiding on your baked treats. Be sure to remind your children or guest not to share the cookies or cakes with the dog without asking permission. They may not be aware that this friendly action may lead to dangerous effects.

 

If your dog has accidentally ingested treats that contain nutmeg and you believe that the dose can be fatal, we advise you to call your veterinarian immediately. You should instantly take them to a pet clinic where they will be observed for 48 hours for any symptoms. Generally, it should be essential to stick with the commercially available treats specifically formulated for our dogs. Refrain from giving them table scraps since the risks associated with it can be fatal.

 

You may not notice it, but people can be high from ingesting nutmeg. Consider your pet dog that has a lower threshold compared to a human. When eaten in high dosage, Nutmeg can be alarming to our dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment